Re: Is My Data DESTROYED?!

Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Christian Pernegger wrote:

I believe you are confusing raid with backup.

For lots of people the primary role of RAID is as a protection against
data-loss nowadays. Backups just aren't feasible/cost-effective
anymore for the amounts of data involved. Sticking your head in the
sand and repeating that mantra doesn't change that and it isn't
helping.

Well, claiming that RAID will protect your data under all circumstances isn't helping either. Backups will actually protect against such things as rm -rf:ing the wrong directory or mkfs:ing the wrong device, etc. Things that RAID will never protect against.

And I don't see how backups aren't feasable, USB/network harddrives keep pace with in-box harddrive sizes just fine. Offsite backup might be trickier/costlier, so you might constrain those to just the data that you would be really sad to see gone if the house burns down (photo album, own creations, etc).

/Mattias Wadenstein

Sir - Whereas Neil, et al, profess that RAID is NOT equal to BACKUP - Most of us know that tape backup is VERY costly, in several ways, in our multi-terrabyte situations. Your mention of USB/network solutions does beg the obvious question-- How would one do USB/network solutions without some degree of encoded backup, and trust? BTW, worse yet is implied trust in Cloud, eh?

And then, you say: