Re: recommended 4port SATA controller ?

Rui Santos wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 7:44 AM, Rainer Fuegenstein
<rfu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi,

I need to move my 4 disk raid5 array from a motherboard with 4 onboard SATA
ports to a mainboard with just 2 ports. therefore I'm looking for a reliable
and inexpensive 4port PCI controller.
Rainer,

The support chips are not always available in all flavors of PCI, so
you need to specify which flavor PCI slots your mother board has.

I don't recall seeing a non-raid 4-port "legacy PCI" controller, but I
can't say I've looked very hard.  Hopefully your motherboard has a
"PCI express" slot available.

If PCI is all you have, I would go with a pair of SiiG controllers.
2-ports each, but they only cost $30 or so.  I have a dozen machines
at least with the 2-port SiiG PCI controllers in them and have had no
issues with linus drivers, etc.
There is an Addonics PCI card that will do what you want.
http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/adsa3r5-e.asp . I have
one of those.

Advantages:
- PCI V2.3 66MHz compliant. It will deploy 2.6Gbits/sec.

??? I don't know what they mean by "deploy," but I know what 133MB/s means in the PCI bus standard, and 2.6Gbit isn't it. I suspect that's max write speed for an N-way raid, N copies of the same data going to each drive fed from memory at bus max, but it certainly doesn't mean transfer between storage and memory. Sounds like a spec they put in advertising, big meaningless (or nearly so) number. Factual, but not a normal use case.

- Low profile
- RAID fetature
- Support PMP
- Esata

Don't think that's what's desired, could be wrong.
Disadvantages:
- Price
- RAID needs to be set on Windows machine

Check it out...

Agree, my BS detector occasionally gets false positives.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 Unintended results are the well-earned reward for incompetence.