Re: Feature request: ability to exchange drive without failing the old one

Isn't this called an active hot spare?

I think some hardware RAID controllers offer this feature: Keeping the
spare in sync with the whole array, so when a failure happens, the
spare takes its place immediately.

That'd be an awesome feature to have!

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Christian Pernegger wrote:
>>
>> Hi list!
>>
>> Sometimes I want to exchange a drive in an array even if it hasn't
>> actually failed, e. g.
>> - in preperation for a grow operation:
>> exchange-resync-exchange-resync-...-grow
>> - when removing old drives as part of regular maintenance
>> - ...
>>
>> Currently one has to fail an active drive to trigger a resync to the
>> replacement (assuming it was added as a spare beforehand) and thus
>> suffer the loss of fault tolerance and performance until the sync is
>> complete.
>>
>> Suggestion: allow adding drives as an explicit replacement for an
>> active one. The active drive would then be copied to the new one in
>> the background, effectively replacing the component device with a
>> mirror. Bonus points if the resulting setup is a valid mode of
>> operation and not just a temporary hack. I suppose one could see the
>> feature as a special case of the reshaping that's all the rage now :)
>>

> I think what you want is a subset of the problem many of us face, moving a
> member of an array to a larger partition on a (much) larger drive. That
> migration, followed by a grow, is getting more appealing, as various drive
> drop to "prize in a cereal box" pricing. And as data grows, backup to
> something other than disk is getting pretty impractical, resulting in unit
> upgrades to save space, time, power, etc, etc.
>
> I agree with the need, I have several ugly methods of doing this which boil
> down to replacing a member with a raid-1 of the member and the new drive. I
> have done it several ways, including the "I can't fit another drive in the
> box" solution, using nbd and write mostly. Uglier than a hedgehog's ass, but
> it worked... eventually.
>
> --
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
>  Unintended results are the well-earned reward for incompetence.
>
> --

       Majed B.