RE: NAS Remote Side of a Mirror

--- On Sat, 10/10/09, Leslie Rhorer <lrhorer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     I'm not familiar with NX.  Why not
> X11?

I tried to set up remote X a long time ago, but it was just too problematic.  NX does essentially the same thing, and has built-in security. (nomachine.com)  Works great, and is very fast.

> > I'm not about to use bloatware like NFS or Samba. And
> sshfs or an SSH
> > tunnel could not keep up the speeds I'd need. How do
> you suppose Qnap
>
>     Why do you say that?  From what I
> have seen of your requirements, it
> doesn't sound like you will require very much at all in the
> way of speed on
> your array.

Why do I say that?  Because they -are- bloatware, and an unnecessary fat layer in the system, with all the potential for error and security breach that implies.  iSCSI is the way, in the 21st century.

>     Speaking of which, I never did see where
> you posted the results of
> any drive access metrics.

I'm sure I mentioned these are the WD 2TB drives.  Straight read 77.7MB/s in RAID10offset.