Re: NAS Remote Side of a Mirror

--- On Thu, 10/8/09, John Robinson <john.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In which case no, you don't need Samba, you never did need
> Samba and I've no idea why you were using it.

I used Samba because it was the only alternative to that NFS bloatware in the Olden Days.  Then I graduated into the 21st century and have used FUSE (sshfs) ever since.

--- On Thu, 10/8/09, John Robinson <john.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The QNAP NAS you linked to does export filesystems via SMB
> using Samba, as well as via AFS, NFS, FTP and HTTP. It can
> also export volumes via iSCSI. It almost certainly runs LVM
> over md RAID to do all these things.

It's looking like iSCSI is the ticket as it can write directly to SCSI buffers using iSER. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISCSI_Extensions_for_RDMA) No hardware needed, just some kernel modules.  This, barring some find in FUSE Networked Filesystems. (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/fuse/index.php?title=NetworkFileSystems)

FUSE is amazing.  Just look at these encrypted filesystem options:
 http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/fuse/index.php?title=EncryptedFileSystems
... Needless to say, these may be too slow for RAIDing, but it just shows the depth of FUSE.

But I can not understand where LVM would come into play with the Qnap?  Why?