RE: NAS Remote Side of a Mirror

Why do you think samba would be a bad choice? I did a quick search for qnap benchmarks, and the numbers didn't look
like anything special compared to my "generic pc + linux + software raid + samba + gbE" setup.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of adfas asd
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 4:49 PM
To: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: NAS Remote Side of a Mirror

OK, say I wanted to build this remote NAS box myself, rather than spending $750 for a Qnap. (http://qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=110)  I find a good case, power supply, micro mobo, and cage, and install Linux and NX (remote desktop) on it.

I need to share those drives over GbE with minimal software intervention. I'm not about to use bloatware like NFS or Samba. And sshfs or an SSH tunnel could not keep up the speeds I'd need. How do you suppose Qnap shares those drives? And provides all those other services?

So looking at Qnap's update, it comes down as a disk img file, which I can not mount in loopback. Probably encrypted, and knowing them in AES256.

Anyone built a remote NAS box?  How to share those drives with minimal software intervention?