Re: NAS Remote Side of a Mirror

On Mon Oct 05, 2009 at 08:37:37AM -0700, adfas asd wrote:

> I'm looking at setting up my RAID mirrored array so that one side of
> the mirror is in the HTPC and the other is NASsed in the garage, in
> case of theft or fire.
>
> I am concerned about the boot process though, as the NASsed side will
> not be available until the network comes up.  Will the array be able
> to be patient for that and include that side once it comes up, and run
> not degraded?

The network can be brought up from within the initrd, so there's no need
for the array to wait (that's even more trivial if you just have /home
on the array as you suggest below).  Alternately, you could use
write-intent bitmaps, in which case the resync should be very quick (you
may want these anyway - depends how reliable the network connection and
NAS is).

> What if I lose my local side of the mirror?  Is failover possible to
> the NAS side?  (Assuming a separate boot disk with everything except
> /home, which is on the array)

Yes (providing you have the array set up properly so the remote holds a
complete data copy).

> The only other technology I am aware of which can remote drives at
> distance is fibrechannel, and that's too expensive, so it seems I'm
> stuck with GB ethernet.  Are there in fact any other options?

Not that I've used, no.

> Is it possible to bring up ethernet early in the boot process with
> initrd.img?

Yes - this is pretty common for network booting.

> Has anyone actually done any of this?

I've not anyway.

Cheers,
    Robin