Re: HW Raid Question

> Which controller do you use exactly? We planned to add support for
> growing/shrinking logical volumes to Einarc, but it's not quite ready
> for prime time yet. It might be supported soon, though.

I have a mix of ServeRAID 6m & 7k controllers, both of which are
rebranded Adaptec.

> What exactly do you want to replace? I guess you want to do some
> procedure to gradually change all discs in the array and then grow a
> logical disc? Like that:
>
> 1. Remove one small disc => array is degraded
> 2. Add one bigger disc, rebuild array
> 3. Repeat steps 1-2 for all discs
> 4. Grow physical extents
> 5. Grow logical volume

Pretty much. These are typical IBM x236 servers that have all six
hotswap SCSI slots full of 36GB disks we're wanting to replace with
146GB disks we've been given by a sister company. The disks are fine
having been tested by both myself and my counterpart.

Eventually we will have to bite the bullet and upgrade our storage to
SATA/SAS but till our firms finances improve I have to play ball with
what I have.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie