Re: mdadm 3.0.2 won't read mdadm.conf file

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Aggelos Kyritsis <filodoksos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear sir/madam,
>
> I am running ubuntu 9.04. Until recently I used the mdadm version that
> exists in the ubuntu repositories, with perfect success. However,
> since that version is fairly old (2.6, I think), I decided to install
> the latest version 3.0.2.
>
> On a freshly formatted system with no mdadm I downloaded
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/raid/mdadm/mdadm-3.0.2.tar.gz,
> unzipped it and run the "sudo make" and "sudo make install" commands.
> According to mdadm --version, I succesfuly installed version 3.0.2 of
> the program. I was also successful on creating and mounting a fresh
> raid 5 array.
>
> However, the installation didn't create either the
> /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf or the /etc/mdadm.conf file, where I need to
> specify the array details so that it is assembled during boot time.
>
> I manually created the mdadm.conf file in both locations and added the
> "DEVICE partitions" line and a line with the result from mdadm
> --examine --scan
>
> Even though this was enough on the old version of mdadm for auto
> assemble during the boot sequence (so that /etc/fstab could mount
> /dev/md0), on version 3.0.2 it made no diferrence at all, as if the
> mdadm I compiled and installed manually wouldn't read the mdadm.config
> file, neither on /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf or on /etc/mdadm.conf
>
> Is there anything I could do to address this problem? Any way to
> permanently point the mdadm to its mdadm.conf file? is there an
> mdadm.conf file created on some other location on the disk, where I
> can add the array information?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Kind regards
>
> Angelos Kyritsis.

Hi,

I've tried almost exactly the same setup. I suspect that you may
simply need to update the initramfs, specifically to place the
mdadm.conf in the init-ramdisk. Try "sudo update-initramfs -u -k all".
"-u" means update the initrd, "-k all" means to update for all
kernels.

-- Kristleifur