Re: Remote NAS

On Wed Sep 23, 2009 at 08:44:41AM -0700, adfas asd wrote:

> --- On Wed, 9/23/09, Robin Hill <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > My goal is to have two large drives in the HTPC and
> > two out in the
> > > garage NASed, in RAID10 so that if my HTPC is stolen
> > or there's a fire
> > > I'll still have my data.  But no one here seems
> > to know how to specify
> > > the HTPC drives as one side of the mirror and the
> > garage drives as the
> > > other.
> > >
> > You have two drives in RAID10 currently, and you want to go
> > to four.
> > Are you meaning to increase the capacity as well or do you
> > just want the
> > two remote drives to be a mirror of your current two
> > drives?
>
> Both more capacity, and remote storage.

Okay, so you want the local drives to be (effectively) a RAID-0, and
then mirrored to the remote drives?

> > > Needless to say I'd like performance to be good, but
> > that's starting
> > > to look hopeless.
> > >
> > I'd recommend getting two smaller drives, and having two
> > separate
> > mirrored pairs - the smaller array for the OS and database
> > and the
> > larger one for recording.  Keep one of each size
> > within the HTPC and one
> > of each in the garage.  You can also use the
> > write-mostly option to make
> > the kernel read from the local drives where possible.
>
> But what I'm saying there doesn't seem to be a way in mdadm to specify
> --one side-- of the mirror here, and the other side, there.

I've no idea what you mean here.  You specify two block devices for the
mirror - what difference does it make where (or what) they are?  And if
you want RAID10 then (in the create order) drives 0 and 2 are local and
1 and 3 remote.

Cheers,
    Robin
--