Re: Random bit flips - better data integrity needed [Was: Re: mismatch_count != 0 on multiple hosts]

Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe
>> And *if* spontaneously flipping bits *would* happen on single disks,
>> they would also happen on your RAID5. No RAID level except RAID2 (which
> If you want reliable data you have to build in end-to-end
> verification.

Indeed.

> etc.  In theory the whole distribution process is reliable, but by
> verifying it at the very end you gain a significant amount of
> confidence.

And cheaper, usually.

> With regards to data storage, one major step in this direction is the
> "integrity" patch that went into the kernel last winter (2.6.28?).

That's far from being end-to-end. Actually, it is even against the
end-to-end argument. End-to-end means from application to application.

> This is all pretty new obviously.  To the best of my knowledge

The End-to-End Arguments in System Design (Saltzer, Reed, and Clark,
1981) is far from being new.

regards
   Mario
--
reich sein heisst nicht, einen Ferrari zu kaufen, sondern einen zu
verbrennen