Re: recommended 4port SATA controller ?

--- On Thu, 17/9/09, Rainer Fuegenstein <rfu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Rainer Fuegenstein <rfu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: recommended 4port SATA controller ?
> To: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thursday, 17 September, 2009, 12:44 PM
> hi,
>
> I need to move my 4 disk raid5 array from a motherboard
> with 4 onboard SATA ports to a mainboard with just 2 ports.
> therefore I'm looking for a reliable and inexpensive 4port
> PCI controller.
>
> the less raid features it has the better since I fear that
> a raid controller may initially write some management
> informationen (signatures etc.) to the disks and therefore
> damage the linux raid5 setup.
>
> And, if possible, it should have low power consumption
> since it is about to be used in a small server powered by
> photovoltaic panels.
>
> any recommendations aprreciated.
>
> thanks and best regards.
> --
> linux-raid" in
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Assuming PCI-E

Adaptec 1430SA x4 Port SATA II (300mbps) PCI-E Raid Card *Oem*

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Adaptec-1430SA-x4-Port-SATA-II-%28300mbps%29-PCI-E-Raid-Card-Oem

if not then there also a plethora of other cards. Aria also do some VERY cheap PCI 2 port controllers - but I had problems with 2 of these in at a time...

N: Jon Hardcastle
E: Jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.'