Re: Assemble and Stop array

You mentioned that lsof doesn't show open files, but what about directories?

If you have a shell open and is inside a directory of the mounted
filesystem, the filesystem can't be unmounted.
The same would happen if you run a program from the shell from that
filesystem and that program isn't close before attemtping umount.

I used to get similar symptoms (unable to mount) but on normal
partitions (no arrays) when I had Slackware 9.0 (2.4 kernel & using
hotplug, not udev). The problem went away after I compiled a newer
kernel 3 months later.

I would suggest that you execute "sync" to make sure whatever in the
disks' cache is written to the filesystem before unmounting to avoid
data corruption or inconsistency.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Leslie Rhorer <lrhorer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > fails with a device busy error.  Every time it has happened, a simple
>> > umount
>> > command without the -l switch fails, but a "lazy" umount appears to
>> work,
>> > with the exception that sometimes I still cannot stop the array.
>> Clearly,
>> > the NFS export is sometimes the culprit, but not always.  What else can
>> it
>> > be?
>>
>> It's best not to use --lazy if yo really want to stop the array.
>> It makes it harder to find the problem.
>
>        Well, OK.  I always try an ordinary umount first, but when it fails,
> sometimes a lazy umount works.
>
>> You seem to have covered everything that I can think of that would
>> keep a filesystem active...
>>

>> >     The second item is assembling an array which was formerly stopped.
>> > By my reading, `mdadm --assemble --scan` should work, but it doesn't.
>> It
>> > keeps telling me no devices are found for the array.  Here is a sample
>> > from
>> > one of the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf files:
>> >

>> Try adding --verbose to the "mdadm --assemble" line.  If that doesn't
>> give you any hints, post the output and it might give me some hints.
>
>        OK, thanks.  The next time it happens, I will.
>
> --

       Majed B.