Re: raid disappearing mdadm: cannot get array info

If the array doesn't show in /proc/mdstat then you can't perform
actions on it. The array has to be active to do that.

Do you know disks/partitions belong to that array? Try to assemble the
array (without resyncing if possible). I suggest you dig around and
find why the array stopped first.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 8:34 PM,  <aristizb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have several raids created on my Linux box and one of them has disappeared
> from /proc/mdstat.
>
> The devices part of this raid are logical volumes and work fine.
>
> When I try to fail one of the devices from the raid I get the following
> message:
> $mdadm /dev/md1744 --fail /dev/storage/disk1
>
> mdadm: cannot get array info for /dev/md1744
>

> This message is different form the one you get when the raid has not been
> created:
> mdadm: error opening /dev/mdXX: No such file or directory.
>
> So md1744 must still in some sense, even though it was not listed in
> /proc/mdstat
>
> The system where I hit this problem has enough RAM and is not being heavily
> utilized.
>

> I am using mdadm version 2.6.3 on Ubuntu kernel 2.6.24-24.
>

> Any ideas on this issue are highly appreciated.
>

> Juan Aristizabal
> --

       Majed B.