    Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 15:36:53 +0300
    From: "Majed B." <majedb@xxxxxxxxx>
 Subject: Re: Software Raid 5 work on ROOT ?
      To: Nagilum <nagilum@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      Cc: lfmarante@xxxxxxx, linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was able to install & boot Slamd64 (a 64-bit port of Slackware) with
raid5 directly. I wrote a HOWTO on Slamd64's forums, but I can't
access them now, but luckily I wrote a copy of my own:
http://mbhtech.blogspot.com/2008/01/raid-expansion-and-beauty-of-xfs.html

You'll need to put separate /boot from the rest, and I don't know
whether this works with grub or not; I used LILO.

I faced one problem a few months back where the array broke (one disk
jumped out) and I couldn't access my system at all, because the system
wouldn't boot from a degraded array. I had to put the installation CD
and fix it from there.

Maybe if I had compiled busybox into the kernel, I would've saved
myself some trouble. Also, I read a few days back that you could pass
a parameter to the kernel to make it boot a degraded array. I don't
remember where or what the syntax was unfortunately.

I hope this helps!

P.S.: I'd skip LVM. I've been speed-testing it lately and its
performance is quite crippling. The read speed of the array directly
is 125 MB/s, while the Logical Volume reads at 43 MB/s only!