Re: Raid 5 - not clean and then a failure.

On Tue Aug 25, 2009 at 12:54:49AM -0700, Jon Hardcastle wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I have been having some problems with my arrays that I think i have
> nailed down to a pci controller (well I say that - it is always the
> drives connected to *a* controller but I have tried 2!) anyway the
> latest saga is i was trying some new kernel options last night - which
> didn't work.

Did they have the same chipset?  I had problems with PCI controllers on
one of my systems, which turned out to be some sort of conflict between
the onboard chipset and the chipset on the controllers.  I found a PCI
card with a different chipset and have had no issues since.

> But when i booted up again this morning it said one of the drives was
> in an inconsistent state (not sure of the *exact* error message). I
> then kicked off an add of the drive and it started syncing. It got
> about 5% in and then the second drive in on that controller complained
> and the array failed.
>
> Is there any hope for my data? If i get a good controller in there
> will the resync continue? can I try and tell it to assume the drives
> are good (which they ought to be)?

There's definitely hope.  You can assemble the array (using the good
drives and the last drive to fail) using the --force option, then re-add
(and sync) the other drive (I'd recommend doing a fsck on the filesystem
as well).  I've just had to do a similar thing myself after two drives
failed (overheated after a fan failure).

Cheers,
    Robin
--
     ___