Write intent bitmaps.

I am trying to use write intent bitmaps on some RAID 1 volumes to reduce the rebuild times in the event of hard resets that cause the md driver to kick members out of my arrays.

I used the mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --bitmap=internal  and this appeared to succeed, but when I tried to examine the bitmap I get an error.

:~$ sudo mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --bitmap=internal
:~$ sudo mdadm -X /dev/md0
        Filename : /dev/md0
           Magic : 00000000
mdadm: invalid bitmap magic 0x0, the bitmap file appears to be corrupted
         Version : 0
mdadm: unknown bitmap version 0, either the bitmap file is corrupted or you need to upgrade your tools

cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]

md0 : active raid1 sda5[0] sdb5[1]
      7823552 blocks [2/2] [UU]
      bitmap: 29/239 pages [116KB], 16KB chunk

unused devices: <none>
sjackson@mercuryst5:~$ sudo mdadm -X /dev/md0
        Filename : /dev/md0
           Magic : 00000000
mdadm: invalid bitmap magic 0x0, the bitmap file appears to be corrupted
         Version : 0
mdadm: unknown bitmap version 0, either the bitmap file is corrupted or you need to upgrade your tools

Do I really have a usable bitmap on the device in this case?

Thanks for any input.