RE: linux disk access when idle

--- On Fri, 21/8/09, Henry, Andrew <andrew.henry@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Henry, Andrew <andrew.henry@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: linux disk access when idle
> To: "Matt Garman" <matthew.garman@xxxxxxxxx>, "linux-raid" <linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Friday, 21 August, 2009, 7:42 AM
> I had a similar issue, as I wanted to
> take full advantage of parking heads but they kept coming
> alive again.  I was putting them to sleep with hdparm.
>
> I gave up at the end, but thought I had read that it was
> likely syslog or other internals that were polling the disc
> too frequently.  Sorry Im a bit vague on the details.
>
> If this was the case (I didn't really investigate) then I
> thought, stuff it, because I wanted syslog to keep doing
> it's thing.
>
> --andrew
>
> --
> linux-raid" in
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

I did this with the data drives in my array - never managed it with the system drives though.

You need to tell smartd to not poll if the drives are asleep and also tell syslog not to poll too often.

There is some for of flag you can apply to see write requests and the application that is doing them.......?

BUT a curious problem I have - and have NEVER really solved is that when a drive is asleep if a scheduled smart check runs - the drive doesn't wake up quickly enough so smart brands the drive as 'incapable of a smart test' and sends me a warning email.... every single time...

N: Jon Hardcastle
E: Jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.'