Re: Code base for rework of ppc440SPe ADMA driver

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 6:49 AM, Anatolij Gustschin<agust@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Dan,
>
> Currently I am trying to estimate efforts for rework of the
> ppc440SPe ADMA driver for inclusion in mainline Linux and a couple of
> questions have arisen. As the current ASYNC_TX API in mainline Linux
> doesn't contain support for RAID6 offload operations, the current
> ppc440SPe ADMA driver have to be reworked to support RAID5 operations
> only which would be a step backward and also would require some
> changes in the ASYNC_TX code to cope with large dma_addr_t addresses.
> Therefore my understanding is that the rework of the ADMA driver for
> inclusion in mainline should be better based on code from your raid6
> branch. Or what would be a better base?
>
> If I understand it correctly initially the intention was to place
> this work in linux-next and probably submit a pull request towards
> the end of the 2.6.31 merge window. Is there any plan to proceed with
> this?  Did you get a chance to look at per-cpu implementation for the
> scribble-buffer?

Yes, this work is still progressing and I am planning a new drop of
the patches to the mailing list Real Soon Now TM.  I have just now
updated the raid6 branch [1] with the latest snapshot of the code.
You can start basing your update on this branch.  Note, it might
rebase as I receive review feedback, but I do not expect the dma
driver interface to change from this point.

This includes the percpu conversion of the scribble buffer [2], and a
new patch I am not sure about yet "multicore raid processing" [3].

--
Dan

[1]: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/djbw/async_tx.git raid6
[2]: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/djbw/async_tx.git;a=commitdiff;h=d02774cc58b8d80d66d49efe541afa727f6a5f15
[3]: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/djbw/async_tx.git;a=commitdiff;h=a8882290f39a97ea3d16aa9bee309097d9c54abd