Re: [mdadm git pull] pending fixes for mdadm 3.0.1

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Neil Brown<neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tuesday August 4, dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> The following changes since commit fa09d4961e5c72da3c7f78d53a7d64f5196110a3:
>>   NeilBrown (1):
>>         Examine: fix --examine --brief --verbose on containers.
>>
>> are available in the git repository at:
>>
>>   git://github.com/djbw/mdadm.git master
>>
>> Dan Williams (10):
>>       teach imsm and ddf what st->subarray means at load_super time
>>       fix RebuildMap() to retrieve 'subarray' info
>
> Thanks.  I've pulled and pushed them all, but I'm not quite sure of
> this one.
> What metadata information do we want to have in the map file?
> The main use of the map file is for incremental assembly.  When we
> find a device, the map file tells us which array/container to attach
> the device to.
> So subarrays probably aren't important in the map file and maybe
> shouldn't be stored there at all???
>
> What was the context where the current behaviour became an issue?

This was noticed when debugging why udev sometimes did not create a
device node for an imsm container.  The fix for that was to update the
container UUID after adding a subarray.  It was during this debug that
I noticed that -Ir would not recreate the same map file as -C, so I
fixed it for consistency.  Now that I look, we are currently using the
mapfile to look up the user-friendly device name for "--detail
--export".  So it is currently needed until we can transition to the
named device support you added in 2.6.29.

>> Hi Neil,
>>
>> This is the same queue that was sent previously [1], but with a few
>> additions:
>
> Sorry I didn't respond to that - late June was a bad time for me :-(

Not a problem.

>> Lastly, I notice that there is a regression of sorts since commit
>> fa09d496 "Examine: fix --examine --brief --verbose on containers".
>> Changing the order of containers and members confuses mdadm -Asc, or -As
>> when /etc/mdadm.conf is present.  We now only get the container, and no
>> members in the multiple container case.  Unintended consequence?
>
> Certainly unintended.  I guess I had forgotten that the order of
> things in mdadm.conf is important.
> Maybe the best approach would be for Examine.c to call in to the
> metadata handler a second time to get the subarrays.
>
> What would you think of something like the following?

Works for me, and you already committed it because I was too slow to
respond, sorry about that.

Thanks,
Dan