Array management

What tools do you guys use to automate your array management? I mean, I'd
quite like to be able to pre-configure that certain drive slots should
have drives re-added or re-built automatically when I hot plug drives,
then have it Just Happen.

Even better if I could do something like Infrant/Netgear's ReadyNAS
X-RAID, which just does the Right Thing as you add drives. 1 drive, no
redundancy. Add a second, RAID-1. Add a third, convert to RAID-5. Add a
fourth, grow the RAID-5. (Actually it's easier than that, just start with
a 2-drive RAID-5 with one drive missing.) Now, Infrant/Netgear will have
rolled their own, but is there a package which would help me automate this
sort of thing?

Cheers,

John.

--