Showcase and thanks to the developers

Hello,

I've build a storage system based on Debian Linux with a 2.6.28
kernel. It houses 18 GB of storage based on 20 disks in RAID 6 using
software RAID.

The funny thing is that this box does read speeds of 1.1 GB/s, which
beats many hardware-based RAID cards.

I am impressed. Of course IO would be another issue, this is only
linear reads. But it's nice. It should go faster, it did 1.1 GB/s with
10 disks, it should do more with 20. I think there is some hardware
bottleneck, but I don't know for sure. Anyway, it is a NAS and the
Gigabit NIC is the limit here, so who cares anyway.

I like to thank the developers for enabling me to build a relatively
cheap and large storage array without the need for a special hardware
controller.

For pictures, additional specs etc. please visit my blog-post (no ads).

http://louwrentius.blogspot.com/2009/07/20-disk-18-tb-raid-6-storage-based-on.html