Re: hdaprm -Y /dev/sda /dev/sdb -> I/O error -> disk kicked out of RAID - is it normal?

Tejun Heo wrote:
NeilBrown wrote:
I tried that and easily found cases where it fails way too fast.
FAILFAST seems to mean different things on different devices, making
it useless in general (it is still useful in some specific cases
such as multipath on devices which are expected to be used under
multipath and so treat FAILFAST appropriately).

Yeap, FAILFAST flags seem geared pretty much toward multipathing.

Yes :/

I'm glad this area is getting some attention, because we ideally want to do two things in parallel:

* send upper layer advisory message, when we first notice a failure
* begin EH recovery

Time passes, libata attempts recovery, and completes the command with success or failure many seconds later.

Right now, failfast handling is inconsistent, and is not (I think...) always signalled as soon as we begin EH.

	Jeff