Re: migrate single disk to RAID 1?

On 14/07/2009 08:16, Ben Beuchler wrote:
I'd like to convert an existing partition to RAID 1 using a portion of
a new, blank drive.  All of the examples I've seen involve creating
the RAID device with the *empty* partition (sda4), copying the data
from the old partition to the new RAID, then adding the old partition
to the RAID set.

From my modest understanding of how linux software RAID works, it
seems I should be able to take an existing partition containing data
(in this case sdb4 mounted as /mail) and build a RAID 1 array with
something similar to this:

umount /dev/sdb4
mdadm --build /dev/md0 --level=1 -n2 /dev/sdb4 missing
mount /dev/md0 /mail
mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sda4

Will that work?  Or am I misunderstanding something fundamental?

It'll work but you'll be using a legacy array without superblocks, so you can't have various features that come with superblocks like being recognisable or having a write-intent bitmap, which is why most guides suggest you --create an array with a blank partition then copy the data. The man page says of build mode:
  Build an array that doesn’t  have  per-device  superblocks.
  For  these  sorts  of  arrays,  mdadm  cannot differentiate
  between initial creation  and  subsequent  assembly  of  an
  array.   It also cannot perform any checks that appropriate
  components have been requested.  Because of this, the Build
  mode  should  only  be used together with a complete under-
  standing of what you are doing.

Cheers,

John.