Re: reshape raid5 to raid6

On Thu, July 9, 2009 6:36 pm, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Beolach wrote:
>
>> If a raid5 is changed to raid6, and then the raid6 is grown w/
>> additional disks, will that switch it to a more traditional layout,
>> since it has to be re-striped anyway?
>
> I'd greatly appreciate if someone in the know could answer this?

Sorry, I thought I had... must have only intended to.

The answer is "only if you explicitly tell it to", which mdadm-3.1
will do for you.
If you switch to raid6 by writing to a sysfs file, then grow with an
earlier version of mdadm, it will keep to unusual layout.

> Also, this raid6 with all Q blocks on a single drive, will older kernels
> read this as well or is 2.6.30 needed to handle this "new" layout?

You will need 2.6.30.  Older kernels will not understand it.

> I'd like to convert a raid5 to raid6 with 2.6.30, then go back to 2.6.28
> and run it, then when I grow it next time, I'd like to get the "correct"
> layout with the Q blocks striped just as if I had created the raid6 from
> scratch. Is this possible?

Nope, sorry.

NeilBrown