From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of NeilBrown
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 4:28 PM
To: Guy Watkins
Cc: Tirumala Reddy Marri; linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; 'Dan Williams'
Subject: RE: Question on RAID-5 using ADMA

On Thu, July 9, 2009 9:11 am, Guy Watkins wrote:
> I think you are doing --assume-clean wrong.
>
> Anyway, if you are bypassing the parity build with --assume-clean then
how
> can you expect it to work with a failed disk?

That was my first thought too, but it doesn't actually follow.

With only 3 devices, every write will construct new correct parity, so
every block that was actually written will read back with the correct
data after a device failure.

There must be something going wrong in the xor calculations.

NeilBrown