RAID6 questions

Hi,

I'm trying to build a RAID6 array out of 6x1TB disks, and would like
to ask the following:

1. Is it possible to convert from 0.9 superblock to 1.x with mdadm
3.0? The reason is that most distributions ship with mdadm 2.6.x which
seems to use 0.9 superblock by default. I wasn't able to find any info
on mdadm 2.6.x using or switching to 1.x superblocks, so it seems that
unless I'm using mdadm 3.0 which is practically unavailable, I'm stuck
with 0.9.

2. Is it safe to upgrade to mdadm 3.x?

3. Is it possible to use 0xDA with 0.9 superblock and omit autodetect
with mdadm 2.6.x? I couldn't find any information regarding this since
most RAID related sources either still suggest 0xFD and
autodetect(even with mdadm 3.0 by using -e 0.9 option) or they do not
state which version of mdadm to use in case of 1.x superblocks. Since
autodetect is deprecated, is there a safe way(without losing any data)
to convert from autodetect + 0xFD in the future?

4. (probably a stupid question but..) Should an extended 0x05
partition be ignored on RAID build? This is not directly related to
mdadm, but many tutorials basically suggest to
for i in `seq 1 x`; do mdadm --create (...) /dev/md$i /dev/sda$i
/dev/sdb$i (...)
It's not obvious in case one decides to partition the drives into many
small partitions e.g. 1TB into 20x 50GB, in such case he gets 3
primary partitions and one extended containing(or pointing to?) the
remaining logical partitions, however the extended partition shows up
as e.g. /dev/sda4, while the logical partitions appear as /dev/sda5,
/dev/sda6 etc., so in the above mentioned case it would basically also
try to create a RAID array from extended partitions.
It would seem more logical to lay out the logical partitions as
/dev/sda4l1 /dev/sda4l2 .... /dev/sda4l17 but udev doesn't seem to do
that. Is it safe to ignore /dev/sdX4 and just create RAIDs out of
/dev/sdX(1..3,5..20)?

5. In case one decides for a partitioned approach - does mdadm kick
out faulty partitions or whole drives? I have read several sources
including some comments on slashdot that it's much better to split
large drives into many small partitions, but noone clarified in
detail.  A possible though unlikely scenario would be simultaneous
failure of all hdds in the array:

 md1 RAID6 sda1[_] sdb1[_] sdc1[U] sdd1[U] sde1[U] sdf1[U]
 md2 RAID6 sda2[U] sdb2[_] sdc2[_] sdd2[U] sde2[U] sdf2[U]
 md3 RAID6 sda3[U] sdb3[U] sdc3[_] sdd3[_] sde3[U] sdf3[U]
 md4 RAID6 sda4[U] sdb4[U] sdc4[U] sdd4[_] sde4[_] sdf4[U]
 md5 RAID6 sda5[U] sdb5[U] sdc5[U] sdd5[U] sde5[_] sdf5[_]
(...)

If mdadm kicks out faulty partitions only, but leaves the remaining
part of drive going as long as it's able to read it, would it mean
that even if every single hdd in the array failed somewhere (for
example due to Reallocated_Sector_Ct), mdadm would keep the healthy
partitions of that failed drive running, thus the entire system would
be still running in degraded mode without loss of data?

6. Is it safe to have 20+ partitions for a RAID5,6 system? Most RAID
related sources state that there's a limitation on number of
partitions one can have on SATA drives(AFAIK 16), but i digged out
some information about a recent patch which would remove this
limitation and which according to some other source had also been
accepted into mainline kernel, though I'm not sure about it.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/701825
http://lwn.net/Articles/289927/

7. Question about special metadata with X58 ICH10R controllers - since
the 3.0 announcement states that the Intel Matrix metadata format used
by recent Intel ICH controlers is also supported, I'd like to ask if
there's some instructions available on how to use it and what benefits
it would bring to the user.

8. Most RAID related sources seem to deal with rather simple scenarios
such as RAID0 or RAID1. There are only a few brief examples avaliable
on how to build RAID5 and none for RAID6. Does anyone know of any
recent & decent RAID6 tutorial?

thanks,

Marek