RE: Adding a smaller drive

> > 	I have a few questions.  Some RAID implementations will simply
> > refuse to create or grow an array if all the targets are not precisely
> the
> > same size.  Clearly this is not the case for mdadm.  Not all drives of a
> > given "size" are actually precisely the same size, however, and I am
> using
> > unpartitioned drives for my RAID systems.  What happens if I add a drive
> > whose apparent physical size is a bit smaller than the device size used
> > create the array?
>
> For RAID 4/5/6, I think it'll be refused.

	Do you know if the refusal would include an error message clearly
indicating why the growth is refused?

> You have to shrink the
> filesystem, and LVM if you use it, then the array, so the used size is
> no bigger than the new drive - as you've noted, md doesn't mind if it
> doesn't use all the available space on its constituent devices. If it's
> a small reduction, as I imagine it would be, and your filesystem
> supports shrinking, it won't take long to do the the shrinks. Then
> adding the new drive will be painless. If your filesystem won't shrink -
> and some (many?) won't - I suspect you're scuppered.

	I'm no longer using LVM on any of the servers, and I've converted to
XFS on RAID 5 and RAID 6 arrays.  At this time XFS does not support
shrinking.  I've seen some chatter on the web about 3rd party utilities
which might make it possible.

	For growing an array, this would be a bit of a pain, but probably
not a show stopper.  Even for a failed drive I could probably just send the
new drive back and purchase a different model whose real size is as large or
larger than the extant drives.  The problem is, waiting that long for a new
drive or doing anything significant (like multiple shrinks!) to a partially
failed array sends shivers up my spine.

	I may have to rethink my position on using raw drives.  If I
partition the drives, I can make the partition a bit smaller than the whole
drive, allowing for the addition of a future drive whose size is a bit off.
I hate to waste space, but being stuck with an undersized or limping array
is worse.