Re: Unable to stop array

On Mon, June 8, 2009 4:52 am, Leslie Rhorer wrote:

> I am trying to stop one of my arrays for maintenance, but it won't let me.
> I've un-mounted the filesystem, but I still get the following:
>
> mdadm: fail to stop array /dev/md0: Device or resource busy
>
> How do I get the array to be free so I can stop it?

Find out what is keeping it busy.
This is not always as easy as you might like.
You could:

 lsof /dev/md0
         to see if any process have it open
 grep md0 /proc/mounts
         to see if it is still mounted
 grep md0 /proc/swaps
         to see if it is in used for swap
 grep md0 /proc/mdstat
         to see if it is included in some other md array
 ls -l /sys/block/md0/holders /sys/block/md0/*/holders
         to see if dm is using it at all
 grep loop /proc/partitions
         to see if there are any loop devices.  If there are,
         one could conceivable be using it.

I cannot think off hand of anything else that might be using the
device.

NeilBrown