Re: RAID5 reconstruction ?

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Redeeman <redeeman@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 14:35 +0100, John Robinson wrote:
On 30/05/2009 06:44, SandeepKsinha wrote:
Hi all,

Say If I have a RAID 5 array of 50GB of five disks of 10GB each.

I have data of 5GB. When a disk fails and replaced with a spare disk.
Will the reconstruction happen only for the 5GB allocated disk blocks
or it will happen for the whole disk size.
The whole disc size, for now anyway; md does not currently note which blocks have been used by its client (the filesystem, LVM, whatever).

Is it possible to make  reconstruction intelligent enough to keep it optimized ?
This has been discussed in combination with supporting SSD drives' TRIM function, and would mean md had to keep track of used chunks or possibly even sectors using a bitmap or something like that, but whether anyone's working on it I don't know.
I would say it should be possible to 'query' the filesystem for that
information. Obviously this will only work if you run a filesystem on it
which supports it, but it would seem like a nicer solution than a bitmap
for it.

Cheers,

John.

And just when I hit send I thought of something else.

Instead of the initial sync when creating a raid the bitmap could just
mark all blocks as unused. Much faster raid creation.

That sounds a lot like what I mentioned, therefore it must be right. See the thread on sync on a new array, my reply to Neil.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 Even purely technical things can appear to be magic, if the documentation is