Re: Awful RAID5 random read performance

On Sun May 31 2009, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
> > > I happen to be the friend Maurice was talking about. I let the raid
> >
> > layer keep
> >
> > > its default chunk size of 64K. The smaller size (below like 2MB) tests
> >
> > in
> >
> > > iozone are very very slow. I recently tried disabling readahead,
> >
> > Acoustic
> >
> > > Management, and played with the io scheduler and all any of it has done
> >
> > is
> >
> > > make the sequential access slower and has barely touched the smaller
> >
> > sized
> >
> > > random access test results. Even with the 64K iozone test random
> >
> > read/write is
> >
> > > only in the 7 and 11MB/s range.
> > >
> > > It just seems too low to me.
> >
> > I don't think so; can you try a similar test on single drives not using
> > md RAID-5?
> >
> > The killer is seeks, which is what random I/O uses lots of; with a 10ms
> > seek time you're only going to get ~100 seeks/second and if you're only
> > reading 512 bytes after each seek you're only going to get ~500
> > kbytes/second. Bigger block sizes will show higher throughput, but
> > you'll still only get ~100 seeks/second.
> >
> > Clearly when you're doing this over 4 drives you can have ~400
> > seeks/second but that's still limiting you to ~400 reads/second for
> > smallish block sizes.
>
> 	John is perfectly correct, although of course a 10ms seek is a
> fairly slow one.  The point is, it is drive dependent, and there may not be
> much one can do about it at the software layer.  That said, you might try a
> different scheduler, as the seek order can make a difference.  Drives with
> larger caches may help some, although the increase in performance with
> larger cache sizes diminishes rapidly beyond a certain point.  As one would
> infer from John's post, increasing the number of drives in the array will
> help a lot, since increasing the number of drives raises the limit on the
> number of seeks / second.
>
> 	What file system are you using?  It can make a difference, and
> surely has a bigger impact than most tweaks to the RAID subsystem.
>
> 	The biggest question in my mind, however, is why is random access a
> big issue for you?  Are you running a very large relational database with
> tens of thousands of tiny files?  For most systems, high volume accesses
> consist mostly of large sequential I/O.  The majority of random I/O is of
> rather short duration, meaning even with comparatively poor performance, it
> doesn't take long to get the job done.  Fifty to eighty Megabits per second
> is nothing at which to sneeze for random access of small files.  A few
> years ago, many drives would have been barely able to manage that on a
> sustained basis for sequential I/O.

I thought the numbers were way too low. But I guess I was wrong. I really only
have three use cases for my arrays. One will be hosting VM images/volumes, and
iso disk images, while another will be hosting large media which will be
streaming off, p2p downloads, amd rsync/rsnapshot backups of several machines.
I imagine the vm array will appreciate faster random io (boot times will
improve, as will things like database and http disk access), and the p2p
surely will appreciate faster random io.

I currently have them all on one disk array, but I'm thinking its a good idea
to separate the media from the VMs. when ktorrent is downloading a linux iso
or something similar atop shows very high disk utilization for ktorrent, same
goes for booting VMs. and the backups, oh my lord does that take a while, I
even tell it to skip a lot of stuff I don't need to backup.

When I get around to it I may utilize the raid10 module for the VM's and
backups. Though that may decrease performance a little bit in the small random
io case.

> --

Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxx