Re: RAID5 reconstruction ?

On Sun, May 31, 2009 9:54 pm, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> SandeepKsinha <sandeepksinha@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> This really sounds like a good option. This would have a slight hit
>> for writes which I believe will compensate for later re-constructions,
>> replacing a disk, mirror resysnc and many more operation.
>
> What hit? Currently with bitmap support a write will set the block to
> "unclean", write the data, write the parity and set the block to
> "clean". Setting the "used" bit along the way should not cost much.
>
> Only difference I see is that the bitmap would have to have finer
> granularity so one "used" bit covers one filesystem block (4k usualy).
> Otherwise you could only "use" blocks but not "unuse" them again when
> the filesystem frees them in 4k chunks.

But the filesystem could "unuse" blocks in larger chunks.
There is this thing called "thin provisioning" and I believe the proponents
of that would like the "TRIM" command to be sent in aligned multiples
of 1Gigabyte or something like that.
I believe this is one aspect of Linux TRIM support that is still open.

I think there would be real value in providing an 'allocated'
bitmap even if it were quite coarsely grained.
The problem with a very large grain is that every time you set a bit,
you need to resync that region, and you don't want that to take too long.
So 1 gig (10-30seconds?) would be an upper limit I would thing.
If you used 1 sector for the bitmap, that is 4096 bits so on a terabyte
array, you have 256Meg chunks that resync in a few seconds.

Certainly an interesting idea to experiment with I think.

NeilBrown