Re: RAID5 reconstruction ?

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Goswin von Brederlow
<goswin-v-b@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Redeeman <redeeman@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> The whole disc size, for now anyway; md does not currently note which
>>> blocks have been used by its client (the filesystem, LVM, whatever).

>>> This has been discussed in combination with supporting SSD drives' TRIM
>>> function, and would mean md had to keep track of used chunks or possibly
>>> even sectors using a bitmap or something like that, but whether anyone's
>>> working on it I don't know.
>>
>> I would say it should be possible to 'query' the filesystem for that
>> information. Obviously this will only work if you run a filesystem on it
>> which supports it, but it would seem like a nicer solution than a bitmap
>> for it.

You have put a big constraint here of "filesystem which supports it".
In general, I have not known any file system work as yet which
leverages the underlying device topology to optimize its block
allocation policies for enhaced I/O, etc.
Or for any other reasons.

Having a bitmap can surely have lot of other benefits too. Looking at
the drive sizes in recent times, think of situation where you have to
do a reconstruction or resysnc. It might take months for them to
complete. Also, in the meanwhile you will have degraded I/O's.

Just in worst case, if your drive has most of allocated blocks, it
will be a penalty.

--
Regards,
Sandeep.

“To learn is to change. Education is a process that changes the learner.”