Re: RAID-5 spare drive: Can't make spare persist across reboot

On Saturday May 30, dave@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>    [First-time poster, done plenty of googling and archive searching
> before sending this, so if it's already been covered my apologies in
> advance...]
>
> Hello All-
>
> I am running a 3-disk RAID-5 using kernel 2.6.24 and mdadm 2.6.3 under
> Ubuntu server 8.04LTS. I'm trying to add a spare drive to the array.
>
> /dev/md0 == /dev/sdc, /dev/sdd, /dev/sda
>
> I want to add /dev/sdb1 as a spare partition, so I tried `mdadm
> /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdb1` ... this worked great; running `mdadm
> --detail /dev/md0` shows 3 active and 1 spare. Cool!
>
> However, after a reboot, I'm back to 3 active and 0 spare drives. I
> tried adding the spare to my DEVICES list in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf,
> and adding a SPARES=1 attribute to the ARRAY line in that file, still
> no persistence. I tried running `update-initramfs -u` after changing
> mdadm.conf (per an IRC suggestion) but still no persistence.

This should "just work".  There might be some hints in
/var/log/messages if you'd like to post that.

> -- Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do?

Definitely.

> -- Do I need to create the array anew using `mdadm --create` and
> specifying "--spare-devices=1 /dev/sdb1" during creation?

No.

> -- Will creating the array again risk corrupting the data already present?

There is always a risk - you might type the wrong command by mistake.
Other than that there is no risk.
However doing so won't gain you anything.

> -- Is there any way to instantiate a superblock on /dev/sdb1 so that
> it can be associated with this array's UUID?

You have already done that.  Use
   mdadm --examine /dev/sdb
to confirm.

> -- I have the ARRAY line (in mdadm.conf) specified by UUID; could this
> be causing the spare to be excluded, since it (presumably) does not
> have a superblock?

No.  And it does have a superblock.

NeilBrown