Re: RAID5 reconstruction ?

John Robinson a écrit :
On 30/05/2009 06:44, SandeepKsinha wrote:
Hi all,

Say If I have a RAID 5 array of 50GB of five disks of 10GB each.

I have data of 5GB. When a disk fails and replaced with a spare disk.
Will the reconstruction happen only for the 5GB allocated disk blocks
or it will happen for the whole disk size.

The whole disc size, for now anyway; md does not currently note which blocks have been used by its client (the filesystem, LVM, whatever).

Is it possible to make reconstruction intelligent enough to keep it optimized ?

This has been discussed in combination with supporting SSD drives' TRIM function, and would mean md had to keep track of used chunks or possibly even sectors using a bitmap or something like that, but whether anyone's working on it I don't know.

I don't know how it goes for Linux, but hasn't ZFS been developped exactly for that purpose ? From what I understand, ZFS manage both the file system and the RAID features at once. Therefore, the "raid" part knows where are the files and the filesystem knows about the raid. Reconstruction is then done intelligently (not reconstructing unused space).

Maxime Boissonneault