Re: Converting system to raid

On Fri Apr 10, 2009 at 01:45:00PM -0700, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:

> Great, for every bit of nudge forward I end up a step or two back. Not
> I have to figure out this copy stuff. Is there any easy way to do some
> sort of compair after cp/rsync to see if/what was missed? Creating yet
> another botable disk to get the copy over to the array would be a bit
> of a pain. Might be easyer to pull the hda from one computer, stick it
> in another or usb case and copy to a temp storage area. on the other
> computer. Then put the drive back and copy from the temp storage to
> the array over then network. Nether computer has any ftp or web
> servers or a desktop. The older computer with the 3 sata drives does
> have mysql installed because I started to mess with setting up mythtv
> but never finished.

The easiest option is to use a bootable CD - there's plenty of linux CDs
around (have a look at http://linuxiso.org - my preferred one is GRML)).
Otherwise, yes, putting the drive into another system and doing the copy
there would work fine.

> As for the other reply, the sata drives each have 3 primary partitions
> all set to type fd and formated with ext3. I was going to try ext4 for
> the main storage of the newer system but I found there is a problem
> with kernels .27 and newer on nforce2 and newer boards. some sort of
> problem with the bios and apci. How do I find out which superblocks
> version is used?

Either "mdadm -D" on the array, or "mdadm -E" on one of the partitions
will show you the version.

Cheers,
    Robin
--