Re: RAID halting

On Apr 5, 2009, at 9:53 PM, Leslie Rhorer wrote:

Well said.  I found it particularly interesting to hear David talk of
statistical probabilities as he studiously ignored the astronomical
statistical improbability that sector remapping would strike only on
file creation, and would simultaneously block a drive up for the
purpose of file creation but not block it up for the purpose of raid
sector checking.

I know. I was apoplectic. I truly didn't know how best to respond to such a glaring incongruity. It's likely the average sector in the free space
region has been read 50 times or more without a single instance of the
failure, yet under load every single creation causes a halt. 'Billions of sectors read over, and over, and over again, yet perform a file create to one or two from the very same sector space, and kerplewey! It boggled my
mind.

David definitely went on a "short bus" rant, I'd
just ignore the rant

I was trying to, mostly. I've never heard the term, "short bus", before. I presume it refers to what can happen on a computer bus with an electrical
short?

No, much more insulting and definitely not politically correct speech, hence my lack of further explanation.

 What really gets me is rather than going on and on about how
ignorant I was, all he had to do in his very first message was say, "Try the
badblocks command."

Personally, I've
only ever used badblocks for low level disk checking, but back when I
used it for diagnosis drives were different than they are today in
terms of firmware and you could actually trust that badblocks was
doing something useful.

Am I mistaken in believing, per the discussion in this list, it should
trigger an event, provided the problem really is bad blocks on one or more
drives?

It should, yes. It merely attempts to read the entire block device, without any regards to filesystem layout or anything like that. Since it reads the entire block device, it covers the metadata, the journal, and everything else. There shouldn't be anything that the filesystem touches that bad blocks doesn't. In the old days, when bad blocks gave you a bad block number, it meant something, now a days it doesn't mean much due to changes in disk firmware. So even if it doesn't give you what you need to manually map bad blocks out of the filesystem well, it should still replicate your hangs if the hangs are truly bad block remapping related.

 If so, then I need someone to explain a bit more what badblocks
does, and perhaps point me toward some low level test which will potentially either rule out or convict the drive layer of being the source of issues. I've never used it before, quite obviously. I read the MAN page, of course, but as is typical with MAN pages, it doesn't go into any detail under the
hood, as it were.

All it really does under the hood in the non-destructive case is read from block 0 to block (size-1) and see if any of them report errors via the OS. In destructive write tests, it writes patterns and sees if they read back properly. I think there is a non-destructive write test that's supposed to read/modify/read/restore or something like that, but obviously it can't be used on a live filesystem. Only the read test is safe on a live filesystem.

Oh, just BTW, I have the system set to notify me via e-mail of any events passing through the Monitor daemon of mdadm. Will this notify me if the RAID device encounters any errors requiring recovery at the RAID level? If so, I have never received any such notifications since implementing mdadm.

I don't think so. The mdadm --monitor functionality simply watches the output of /proc/mdstat watching for changes in the array's listed state, such as a transition from active to degraded. On those changes, it mails the admin. However, if you are running a resync/ check, this is considered a good state like active is. So mdadm would only send you a mail if the array encountered an unrecoverable problem that kicked the array from a good state to a degraded state. The whole monitor capability of mdadm is probably due for a rewrite now that sysfs usage is pervasive. It should probably ignore /proc/mdstat and instead use the sysfs files, and it should check for more things than just a transition from active->degraded, it should also check things like mismatch_cnt after a check/resync completes, things like that.