Re: RAID halting

On Apr 5, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
Oh, brother. Since I personally own outright every last nut, bolt, and
transistor in these systems, and since the data belongs entirely and
exclusively to me (with the exception of some copyright restrictions), for use by me, exactly who is going to fire me or prosecute me? Enough. Please cease the ad hominem attacks, and point me towards the utilities which will
allow me to further diagnose the issue.

Well said. I found it particularly interesting to hear David talk of statistical probabilities as he studiously ignored the astronomical statistical improbability that sector remapping would strike only on file creation, and would simultaneously block a drive up for the purpose of file creation but not block it up for the purpose of raid sector checking. David definitely went on a "short bus" rant, I'd just ignore the rant part and see if he manages to provide any useful data about how to check things as you requested. Personally, I've only ever used badblocks for low level disk checking, but back when I used it for diagnosis drives were different than they are today in terms of firmware and you could actually trust that badblocks was doing something useful.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>

GPG KeyID: CFBFF194
http://people.redhat.com/dledford