RE:

All of what you report is still consistent with delays caused by having
to remap bad blocks
The O/S will not report recovered errors, as this gets done internally
by the disk drive, and the O/S never learns about it. (Queue depth
settings can account for some of the other "weirdness" you reported.

Really, if this was my system I would run non-destructive read tests on
all blocks; along with the embedded self-test on the disk.  It is often
a lot easier and more productive to eliminate what ISN'T the problem
rather than chase all of the potential reasons for the problem.