RE: RAID halting

> If one of your disks was clearing bad sectors then things get messy
> and when it hits one of these bad sectors that it can successfully
> move you would get a delay almost every time.

Yes, but in that case two things would be true:

1.  Any write of any sort could readily trigger an event.  The system quite
regularly writes more than 5000 sectors / second, but never do any of these
writes trigger an event except in the case where it is a file creation.
Like I said, the drives have no idea whether the sector they are attempting
to write is a new file or not, or part of a directory structure or not.

2.  The kernel would be reporting SMART errors.  It isn't.

Finally, as you said yourself, the situation would result in a delay almost
every time, yet there are signifcant stretches of time when every single
file creation works just fine.  Also, it doesn't take a drive 40 seconds,
let alone 2 minutes, to mark a sector bad.  The array chassis I had
previously had some sort of problem which made the drives think there were
bad sectors, when there weren't.  It cause one drive to be marked with more
than a million bad sectors.  It never paused like this, however.