RE: RAID halting

> Oprofile is supposed to be good for user and kernel profiling but I
> don't know if it can find non-cpu bound stuff. There are also a bunch of
> latency analysis tools in the kernel that were used for realtime tuning,
> they might show where something is getting stuck. Andrew Morton did alot
> of work in this area.

Do you know if he subscribes to this list?  If not, how may I reach him?

> If the cpu was spinning somewhere it would show as system time so it
> must be waiting for a timer or some other event (wild guessing). It's as
> if the i/o completion never arrives but some timer eventually goes off
> and maybe the i/o is retried and everything gets back on track? But that
> should cause utilization to go up and you'd think some sort of
> message...

It's also puzzling why the issue is so much worse when the array diagnostic
is running.  Almost every file creation triggers a halt, and the halt time
extends to 2 minutes.  This is one thing which makes me tend to think it is
an interaction between the file system and the RAID system, rather than
either one alone.

> Perhaps the ide list would know of some diagnostic knobs to tweak.

> One last thing, the cpu goes toward 100% idle not wait?

Neither one.  If the drive access is tied to a local CPU intensive user
application, for example ffmpeg, then of course CPU utilization dips, but if
all the drive accesses are via network utilities (ftp, SAMBA, etc), I
haven't noticed any change in CPU utilization.  Simultaneous reads and
writes to other local drives or network drives continue without a hiccough.