RE: RAID halting

>>The issue is the entire array will occasionally pause completely for about
>>40 seconds when a file is created.  This does not always happen, but the
>>situation is easily reproducible.  The frequency at which the symptom
>i wonder how costly b-tree operaton are for a 8Tb filesystem...

I expect somewhat costly, but a 4 second to 2 minute halt just to create a
file of between 0 and 1000 bytes is ridiculous.  That, and as I said, it
doesn't always happen, by a long shot, not even when transfers in the 400
Mbps range are underway.  OTOH, I have had it happen when only a few Mbps
transfers were underway.