Re: Thoughts on using SSD

On 2009-03-27T15:37:23, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> .... I wonder if it would make sense to mirror two partitions of the
> one SSD?? It would save you from media errors and only expose you to
> total-drive-death errors.

Depends; SSDs have different failure modes. One of them is that for
performance, memory is often interleaved and heavily remapped. So if one
of the cells dies, you may in fact lose random sectors in _both_ of your
partitions, so they wouldn't be independent and not necessarily make for
good RAID targets ;-)

Regards,
    Lars