Re: How to configure 36 disks ?

Raz wrote:
Hello
I need to configure 3xDAS'es, each with 12 disks.
All three DAS'es are connected to a single machine.
I have the following requirements (in this order of importance)
from the storage:

1. redundancy.
   having two disks failing in one raid5 breaks the entire raid. when
you have 30TB storage
   it is a disaster.

2. performance.
   My code eliminates Linux raid5/6 write penalty. I managed to do by
   manipulating xfs and patching linux raid5 a bit.

3. modularity ( a "grow" and it will be nice to have "shrink" )
   file system and volume must be able to grow. shrinking is possible
by unifying multiple file systems
   under unionfs or aufs.

4. Utilize storage size.

I assume each disk is 1TB.

___ snip ___

Any other ideas ?

Yes, you have the whole solution rotated 90 degrees. Consider your original solution #2 below... You have no redundancy if one whole DAS box fails, which is certainly a possible failure mode. If you put the RAID0 horizontally, two arrays size six in each DAS, then RAID6 vertically, if one DAS fails completely you still have a functioning system, and the failure results for individual drives remains about the same, while the rebuild time will be longer.

Solution #2
			     raid0
DAS1: raid6: D,D,D,D,D,D     |
      raid6: D,D,D,D,D,D     |

DAS2: raid6: D,D,D,D,D,D     | xfs.
      raid6: D,D,D,D,D,D     |

DAS3: raid6: D,D,D,D,D,D     |
      raid6: D,D,D,D,D,D     |

In addition, you can expand this configuration by adding more DAS units. This addresses several of your goals.

In practice, just to get faster rebuild as the array gets larger, I suspect you would find it was worth making the horizontal arrays RAID5 instead of RAID0, just to minimize time to full performance.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

"You are disgraced professional losers. And by the way, give us our money back."
   - Representative Earl Pomeroy,  Democrat of North Dakota
on the A.I.G. executives who were paid bonuses  after a federal bailout.