Re: --examine contradicts --create and --detail, again

On Wed Feb 11, 2009 at 02:48:09AM -0800, whollygoat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Either I am misunderstanding something, or I have
> a hardware issue I don't know how to diagnose.  Any
> suggestions on things to read or to try are welcome.
>
> # mdadm -D /dev/md/0
>
>     Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
>        0      33        1        0      active sync   /dev/hde1
>        1      34        1        1      active sync   /dev/hdg1
>        2      56        1        2      active sync   /dev/hdi1
>        3      57        1        3      active sync   /dev/hdk1
>        6      88        1        4      active sync   /dev/hdm1
>
>        5      89        1        -      spare   /dev/hdo1
>
> So, then, why oh why oh why does --examine, on any of the
> component devices, show slots for  7 devices, one failed,
> one empty?  I have recently changed RAM, mobo, system disk
> and some IDE cables thinking each time that I had finally
> come to the end of this.
>
> # mdadm -E /dev/hde1
>
>     Array Slot : 0 (0, 1, 2, 3, failed, empty, 4)
>    Array State : Uuuuu 1 failed
>
> Sorry for bringing up this new instance of the same old
> problem yet one more time.

I'd say this is just an artifact of how the array creation works,
Because it starts as a degraded array, initially one of the RAID devices
is flagged as missing/faulty (so you have member numbers 0, 1, 2 and 3
in the array, 4 flagged as missing/faulty, and 5 & 6 as spares).  When
it does the initial build, it uses member number 6, leaving 5 as the
spare.  This leaves you with 1 "failed" member and one "empty" (the
spare - it's not part of the array so doesn't have a Device Number).

Unfortunately I don't have any RAID5 arrays around now to check whether
I see the same here.  However, if the system's working fine otherwise
then I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers,
    Robin
--
     ___