Re: [Fwd: Spares not automatically added on boot]

On Monday February 9, jan.ceuleers@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Bumping. Sorry 'bout that, but I would like to give this another chance
> at attracting attention.
>
> Many thanks, Jan

If only spares are not added at boot then it might sound like a minor
problem, but ofcourse it is a major problem just waiting to happen.
As soon as a device fails it will get rebuilt on to a spare and then
on the next boot it will be a real data device that is missing.

If the problem is fixed by making sure all controller for any devices
in the raid are in the initrd, then it seems likely that the problem
is with the mkinitrd script which creates the initrd in the first
place.  You should probably file the bug against that rather than
again mdadm.

Why changing the DEVICE line would make any difference I cannot
imagine.  Maybe the initrd looks at the DEVICE line when making some
decisions, but that sounds like an odd thing to do.

Short answer:  File a bug against mkinitrd (or whatever it is called)
with Ubuntu.

NeilBrown