Re: Linux RAID autodetect partitions go missing from /dev, but fdisk can see them

Tor Arne Vestbø wrote:
> Neil Brown wrote:
>> If a partition start at an offset in the device which is a multiple of
>> 64K, and ends at the end of the device, then both the partition and
>> the whole device will appear to have the same superblock.  This can
>> cause confusion.
>
> I think you are on to something here! I did partition all my disks with
> just one partition, starting on the first block and taking up all the
> remaining space, and set it to type Linux RAID auto detect.

[snip]

> So is this a case of the problem you described about
> superblock-confusion? If so, is it fixable?

It appears it is :)

For googlability, here's what I did:

Changed the DEVICE line in my mdadm.conf from:

  DEVICE partitions

  DEVICE /dev/sd[bcdef]1

Now the array is assembled correctly at boot.

I'm still confused why the device nodes went missing as a result of the
failed assembly earlier, but that's a minor issue I can live with :)

Tor Arne