Re: Properly setting up partitions and verbose boot

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:06:32AM -0500, GeneralNMX wrote:

> >From my understanding, there is fault tolerance and then there is the chance
> of a disk dying. Obviously, the more disks you have, the greater chance you
> have of a disk dying. If we assume all disks start out at some base chance
> to fail and degrade, putting multiple RAID types on the same disks can
> dramatically increase the wear & tear as the number of disks increase,
> especially when you have both a raid5 (which doesn't need to write to all
> disks, but will read from all disks) and a raid10 (which probably will write
> and read to all disks) on the same physical array of disks. Since fault
> tolerance is there to decrease the problems with disks dying, my setup is
> obviously sub-optimal. Whenever I access my RAID10, I'm also ever so
> slightly degrading my RAID5 and RAID1, and visa-versa.

Your arrangement does not increase the wear and tear, as far as I can
tell. This compared to a solution where you only have one big raid10,f2
raid. Actually your wear and  tear would be lower, because raid5 does
not write so much if you mainly deal with bigger files, and not database
like operations.

It is of cause true that when you use the raid10, then you impede the
raid5 and raid1, but you would not get more out of a single raid10,
given that you have to have the same number of operations, with the
given number of drives.

comparing your setup to a mono-raid setup, you would get about the same
wear & tear out of it. Basically you have the same number of IO
operations, and they will take the same wear and tear. With a setup like
yours, you most likely will concentrate IO on the / partition which will
be on the faster parts of the disks, which are probably also more
reliable, and you will reduce arm movement, which is good for speed and
wear and tear. In essence you will get the benefits of your raid types
- speed for raid10,f2, storage size for raid5, and wear and rear will be
as usage determines it from your raid types, I see no dramatic
difference there. I see that you think differently, and I would like us
to get some kind of conclusion on this issue. If you are right we should
add info on this in the wiki.

> Now, as for the I/O Wait, this happens when I try to access both the RAID10
> and RAID5 at the same time, especially if I'm moving a lot of data from the
> RAID10 to the RAID5.

I think this would be the same if you moved the data (copying it) within
the RAID10, or within the RAID5. Please try it out, and I would be
interested also to hear your results.

> While my server was rather old before I upgraded it
> just two days ago using spare parts (was a 1997 Supermicro Dual P3 550MHz
> 1GB SDRAM, now a 2.8GHz P4 w/ HT 1.5GB DDR), I think the I/O Wait was caused
> by trying to negotiate the three different RAID arrays at once, which
> encompass all four disks, while still allowing access to those arrays. Along
> with critical data, I also use the RAID10 as a staging area for large
> downloads from other servers due to its speed and reliability. Once I
> determine the worth of the data, I usually transfer it to the RAID5, which
> does not house critical data (more like it would be annoying if it failed).

I don't think RAID10 is much more reliable than RAID5. They are both
guaranteed to survive 1 disk crash, and then RAID10 has a further 50 %
of surviving another disk crash. RAID10,f2 would have faster sequential
read, but raid5 is faster for writing, while also having quite fast
sequential read for big files.

> Backups of / (sans large downloads) also go on the RAID5 in case the file
> systems become corrupted. Again, it would be better to have the backups on
> separate physical disks, as corrupt MFTs and seriously corrupt partitions
> could hose the entire setup.

yes, more disks in separate raids would always be better. The question
is how to best use the available number of disks.

> But I just do this all for my own enjoyment and education.

Good! I hope you enjoy it, and you can also help to educate others, by
reporting your findings here.

> I don't implement
> this stuff in production environments. As much as I'd like to convert my
> workplace's Windows XP "Server" using fake raid1 which holds all our
> super-critical data...we literally have to reboot that thing every 2-4 hours
> due to problems with other software that's on it.

Sad to hear that. Maybe, for my amusement, you could report the IO of
your windows partititions here.

best regards
keld