Re: system upgrade reordered drives, confused software raid-1

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Troy Cauble wrote:

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 6:14 AM, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Troy Cauble wrote:

I recently upgraded an Ubuntu box and noticed that my drives got reordered
(possibly by a SATA driver change) and my RAID-1 is degraded.

1. mdadm /dev/md0 --fail /dev/sdb1
2. mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/sdb1
3. sfdisk -d /dev/sda | sfdisk /dev/sdb
4. mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/sdb1
5. mdadm --examine --scan >> /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

Justin.

Thanks very much!

If I understand the documentation, this is essentially treating
sdb1 as a new drive and sda1 will be copied too it.
Yep.

I'd also like to understand if/when --assemble might be appropriate for
these scenarios.  The man page says Assemble means

"Assemble  the  components  of a previously created array into an
             active array."
I would not recommend it because you would probably need to --force it [1]
and then run fsck on the filesystem [2] because you're syncing an old (dirty)
disk with a new one, why risk it if you do not have to (in this scenario?)

My two drives were part of a previous array that are no longer
associated for some reason.  I *assume* that sdb1 still has a
good file system, just slightly out of date files, since I used the
degraded array.
The system is still running right?  So that is the disk that you would use
to syncronize from, the running disk.

Is it that assemble wouldn't know which version is correct?
See above.

Is it that assemble isn't used for recovery scenarios?
Not recommended for this scenario.

Is it that sdb1 might be worse than I assume?
There were some changes made to the disk that md does not like, fix using
the steps above.  Then let us know if all issues are resolved.

Justin.