Re: Kernel doesn't find root from new style partitionable array

(Sorry for the late reply)

On 12 Jan 2009, Michal Soltys wrote:

> Mika Tiainen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When booting from another disk I can see that the md0 partitions are
>> only found later:
>>
>> md0: p1 p2
>>
>> This line shows up after root is already mounted.
>>

> I've never used in-kernel raid autodetection (always relying on
> initramfs - any reason not to use one ?),

Initrd is what I'm using now and it works, but I'd rather get by without
initrd as I have no other need for it.

> but looking at md.txt from kernel docs, raid=partitionable parameter
> should get it done. You might end with md_d0 (as in earlier kernels)
> name instead of md0, so adjust root=, fstab, etc. accordingly.

raid=partitionable is what I used before, but it doesn't work with these
new style partitions. The raid gets detected as md_d0, but no md_d0p1.

If this can't be fixed and these new partitionable arrays can't be used
as root without initrd it should be documented somewhere.

--
Mika Tiainen		Always be wary of any helpful item that
mikat@xxxxxx		weighs less than its operating manual.